Valrico, FL asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: I have an escapee Charge because I refused to get arrest without know why, so I ran into my home. Am I escapee

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bernard Crane
Bernard Crane
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Short answer: yes.

If the police try to arrest you, that is not the proper venue in which to argue the sufficiency of their reasons for the arrest. It sounds like you know there has already been an escape charge brought against you.

The best thing to do is speak to a good criminal defense attorney right away and have him assist you in turning yourself in on the warrant. He will be able to arrange the time and place so you will see a judge right away. You want to arrange to turn yourself in early as possible on a Monday through Thursday morning, so you can e processed and get before a judge the same day. If you turn yourself in on a Friday afternoon, you will probably sit in a jail cell until at least Monday. Don't waste those days if you do't have to!

It is very important to understand that, to a judge, there is a world of difference between turning yourself in and being arrested and brought in. If you walk yourself into a courthouse, you are going a long way toward convincing the judge he can trust you to walk yourself in again and releasing you on recognizance. If you wait until they arrest you, you are convincing the judge that he needs to keep you locked up so you will be there for your next court date. You are also taking the risk that you or someone you love could be injured, or worse, if the police break in your door and rush your house with their guns out to arrest you on the warrant.

This is a problem that will not go away, and it will not get better on its own. Its kind of a no-brainer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.