Mansfield, OH asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My nephew is 16 being abused, how can he become emancipated?

My niece an nephews were taken from their mother a few years ago and custody was given to the grandparents of the younger two, but they took all four children. They get beat for not doing homework, chores, etc. they have been in trouble for missing school because they missed their bus and then the grandma just didn’t feel like taking them. My oldest nephew of the four will be 17 in September and he gets the worst of the treatment. He wants to find out what he needs to do in order to get away from his step grandparents. What can he do? We have called children services on them and somehow they still getting away with it. Have proven pictures of bruising and welts from whatever they have been hit with and still remain there. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Ohio does not allow emancipation in his situation. Here is a link to more information:

But if you want to do something to rescue him from that bad situation, you could apply to become his guardian. Check the probate court web site where he lives for information and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles guardianships.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.