Euclid, OH asked in Business Law and Child Support for Ohio

Q: Some individuals in the State of Ohio are incorporating in an attempt to avoid paying back child support. Is this legal?

The newly formed corporation now bills the employer and gets paid because the money goes to the corporation and not the individual. Child support is not aware of the new arrangement and thus the individual has been paid with no child support being deducted. Is this a legal way to avoid paying child support? And what about the tax implications on the employer since they are a willing party to this scheme?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Child support will still be owed, and the person can be found in contempt for non-payment, and the court can impose sanctions in that person. The person to whom it is owned should use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to file with the court seeking to have the person held in contempt for non-payment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.