Kansas City, MO asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Immigration Law for Missouri

Q: I want the title of ownership transferred to me but i don't have a driver license or a permanent resident status

Hi?! I have applied for asylum or withholding of removal like a week ago. there is an already registered car that my uncle want to give me.

will i be able to put my names on the car even though I don't have a licence? i should be getting the application receipt(for asylum) in like 2 weeks. thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC

A: Check with your state's DMV. Ask if they need a Social Security Number, and any other requirements. If you go in person to the DMV, wait until you have your I-589 asylum application receipt notice. (Scan the original and email it to yourself so you have it in the cloud, make a copy and bring the photocopy and your smart phone with you to DMV, in case anyone challenges your immigration status. Doubt they will but who knows?)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.