Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Immigration Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: How can I marry my immigrant girlfriend of 2 years whom is in St.louis county jail currently?
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 17, 2021

You need to ask the prison officials on the protocol of marrying its inmate.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Can a Brazilian with a tourist visa get married 2 days after arriving in the us ?
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers answered on Jun 30, 2021

You can. However, a USCIS officer might say that you were actually lying about what you were coming to the USA to do in the first place. This is especially if you do not plan to return home after the ceremony and file for adjustment of status here in the USA.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Immigration Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Missouri on
Q: father died in the middle of a divorce to a woman in South Africa who abandoned her citizenship. Her name was on deed &

She wants to sell the home because she is broke. I live in the home my father owned with her. Do I have any rights to keeping the home? She in her divorce papers and in emails states she had no interest in the property and my father was keeping the property. Is there any law that protects me as his... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on May 5, 2021

My condolences for your father's passing. Unfortunately, this is more of an Estate/Probate and/or family law attorney question than immigration. Best wishes!

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I am on B2 visa,diagnosed with breast cancer.My visa expires.I want to stay here for medical purposes what should do?

Came to USA on 2019 October. Because of COVID and my health conditions I cannot go back to my country . My visa expires in 3 months. Since I am diagnosed with cancer recently (after coming here) and we don’t have treatment for my situation in our country , I want to stay here until I get... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Feb 25, 2021

You should be able to apply for an extension of your current status. Consult with an immigration attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Can my fiancée apply for a K-1 visa if she has a tourist visa application in process?

I am a US citizen living in the US and my fiancée is a Mexican citizen living in Mexico. We would like to start the process for attaining a K-1 visa. However, my fiancée currently has a tourist visa application in process. Do we need to wait for the tourist visa process to complete before... Read more »

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Feb 9, 2021

The B-1/B-2 visa is a non- immigrant visa that requires a lack of immigrant intent.

The K-1 requires an immigrant intent.

For these reasons, the request for the B-1/B-2 will have to be abandoned if you wish to pursue the K-1 fiancée visa.

Good luck to you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: My wife is in process of I-485 adjustments of status and I got lay-off. Can we apply for Food Snaps

Would it effect her getting a green card

We waiting on interview . And we of course used someone else as sponsor

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Sep 11, 2020

Hey, under the public charge rule, the USCIS will consider whether the intending immigrant has received or will be eligible to receive public benefits in the future. Last month, there was a temporary hold on i-944 but it seems to apply to certain states- NY-VT-CT- USCIS has been quite about the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Can I reinstate my green card?

I received my green card in 2005 and exited the United States in 2007 while having a re entry permit that would let me be a permanent resident till 2009 if i returned to the US. Unfortunately I could not return as I was a minor and the decision was because of my parents. I know that for an... Read more »

Mario Musil
Mario Musil answered on Aug 28, 2020

If you did not qualify for the SB-1 visa and you were given a student visa, you would have to re-apply for a green card from the beginning. Unfortunately, there is no way to reinstate a green card before a judge in your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Is it possible to have an N400 application expedited if my employment depends on it?

My driving license expires in February and my employment is Truck driver. Back in 2014 when my conditional green card was ungraded to full ten year I never actually received that card and when I enquired about its whereabouts I was told the card was no longer traceable. So in February of this year... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Aug 5, 2020

You are an LPR. You need to apply for a replacement card. You will need a current card when it comes time to attend an interview for your NATZ. Once you file for the replacement call the 1 800 number to schedule an info pass at your local USCIS. Take the receipt and other proof that you are an LPR... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Does the Schengen Area travel ban exception apply if I live in the US and he lives in Germany?

My husband and I were discussing him coming to visit me during this pandemic (for personal health reasons), but I'm not sure if it's entirely possible. He's a foreign national (German) who resides in Germany. I know with the travel ban against the Schengen Area, he would generally be... Read more »

Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost answered on Apr 9, 2020

Being married per se will likely not allow him

entry but an approved immigration status would. You should explore petitioning for him.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I got married in Missouri and my husband moved away without telling me anything can I file for my green card??

He is an American citizen so can I file under the abandonment laws??

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Mar 5, 2020

If you experienced battery or extreme cruelty by your U. S. citizen spouse, you can file the FORM I-360 with USCIS and request the benefits of a VAWA petition.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I want the title of ownership transferred to me but i don't have a driver license or a permanent resident status

Hi?! I have applied for asylum or withholding of removal like a week ago. there is an already registered car that my uncle want to give me.

will i be able to put my names on the car even though I don't have a licence? i should be getting the application receipt(for asylum) in like 2... Read more »

Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd answered on Jan 27, 2020

Check with your state's DMV. Ask if they need a Social Security Number, and any other requirements. If you go in person to the DMV, wait until you have your I-589 asylum application receipt notice. (Scan the original and email it to yourself so you have it in the cloud, make a copy and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: In Missouri, can an immigant and a U. S. Citizen apply for a marriage license. If so, what are the requirements?
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jan 18, 2020

Yes some states require a valid picture ID like an unexpired passport with photo id. For the immigrant spouse.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Immigration Law and International Law for Missouri on
Q: I and our 3 kids are dual UK-USA citizens. My wife is USA only. Can kids move to UK with me? If wife wishes to remain...

There's a little disharmony in paradise. Wife wishes to remain in USA (being only a US citizen) and is a stay-home Mom; she has not been employed in over 15 years. I am the sole income. I and all kids wish to move back to England. Kids were born in USA but are all naturalized as UK citizens... Read more »

Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner answered on Aug 12, 2019

You both have equal rights to the children; so the children may move to the UK with you, but she can also submit a court action to have them returned if she disagrees. Talk to an attorney in the jurisdiction where your family lives to discuss your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: How is "good cause" defined for asylum cases?
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Dec 4, 2018

"Good cause is defined as a reasonable excuse for being unable to appear for an asylum interview. What may be a reasonable excuse for one applicant may not be reasonable when looking at the circumstances of another applicant. In reviewing whether there is good cause for your failure to appear... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I met my now fiancee (for almost three years now) when she was a webcam model in the Romania. Should we tell the truth?

I am interested to know if we should tell the truth about how we met, or if we should say that we met on a video game (somewhat valid since we played a MMORPG together for two years) or forum community.

I was also a male model at the time, but in the United States of America it is legal,... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Dec 4, 2018

If you are hoping for an attorney to tell you that you should lie or be misleading, I don't believe you will get the answer you desire.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: where can i get help filling out an application for citizenship
Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner answered on Dec 2, 2018

Generally we recommend working with an experienced immigration attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Do I need to get a new I-94 after I renew my passport?

Do I need to get a new I-94 after I renew my passport?

I am on an H4. My I-94 is about to expire as the I-94 validity was shorter than H4 visa as my passport was about to expire. Now that I have renewed my passport, do I need to apply for a new I-94? After my last entry, My husband I-797... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Nov 12, 2018

You will need to request an extension of your current status before it expires.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and Child Custody for Missouri on
Q: My sons father was recently released on bond from a detention center facing deportation, he is an illegal immigrant.

He has filed for joint custody. He wants to take my son to California from Missouri, but with being released on bond can he leave the state? Also, can I file for full custody?

Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner answered on Aug 9, 2018

Unless the two of you are married, or have an existing court order, you are the only one with rights to the child; he can't take the child anywhere. Furthermore, it does depend a little upon the conditions of his release, but typically, if he has been released on bond, he won't be able... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I have a 10-yr green card since 1984. Applying citizenship. Came in 1981 as church volunteer fr/Canada. What visa did I?

Just trying to figure out what visa I might have had back then. B-1? It lasted for over 2 years.

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jul 18, 2018

Hard to say. Could have been a religious worker visa. From Canada you would not have necessarily needed a visa for tourism.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: I just found out I was pregnant. My boyfriend wants to apply for a visitor Visa. Which Visa app should he apply for

He is from Dominican Republic and wants to be present for appointments and child birth. Can he apply for visitors Visa and request to stay until the child Is born? I know it says 90 days

Yes I am a natural born US Citizen. We have discussed marriage just not in a rush right now with... Read more »

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Jun 21, 2018

Need more facts to answer your question. Are you a US citizen? Are you and your boyfriend planning to get married? If so, are you going to sponsor him for a green card?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.