Laurel, MD asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: What could happen to employer if he pocketed most of the tax money he withheld from my paychecks if i report it

And what kind of proof im going to need? And who to report the case to ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Money that is deducted from your paycheck to pay taxes is held in trust by your employer. If they do not send the money in to the IRS they will be assessed a trust fund recovery penalty. There is no need to report them. If they took the money out of your paycheck and never reported it to the IRS, that is different. You would need to send in proof that the taxes were withheld from your paycheck (hopefully you kept copies of your paystubs) and the IRS will adjust your account accordingly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.