Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I pay child support and my daughters mom up and left to florida . my daughter was born in ohio. What can i do?

She refuses to let me contact her overall but its been a year in a half that shes been gone. My daughter is now 7 how can i get my rights for visitation without having to go to florida

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Xenia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To get visitation or parental rights related to your daughter, it will depend on how your child support obligation was created. If she went through CSEA directly to get a child support obligation set up (i.e. the administrative process, not in a court), then unfortunately you will almost certainly have to hire a Florida custody attorney and fight there. That is because typically a court only has jurisdiction over the child if they physically live in their jurisdiction.

However, if you have to pay child support because of a court order that came down from either a juvenile court or domestic relations court in Ohio, then you may not have to go to Florida. Typically when an Ohio court decides parental rights of a minor child, they retain jurisdiction to decide the rights of the child until that child turns 18.

These cases are very time sensitive and since a year and half has already passed I suggest you contact an attorney to discuss your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.