Brighton, MA asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Massachusetts

Q: Judgement against me from 2007 for credit card debt.

Had no idea I had this against me, my husband use to take care of our finances and now he is deceased. A collection agency wants $7400 for a $2900 judgement. What can I do? Would like to clear this up but don't have $7000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you want to respond aggressively, go into the court and file a motion to have the judgment vacated because did not receive notice of the case in 2007 (if that is true).

If you are willing and able to pay, tell the collection agency what you said above, that your husband handled your finances and you had no idea a judgment had entered against you. Tell them you are willing to pay the $2900 (or as little as you can get them to accept - start low) but not the 10+ year's interest and try to work out a payment plan that works for you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.