Rockford, IL asked in Social Security and Tax Law for Wisconsin

Q: How to file taxes using 2 different socials the same year?

My husband overstayed his visa, he was originally using a fake social. I told him to use his real social. He got a new job and put down his real social in November. Now, we’re wondering how to go about filing our taxes together jointly when he used two different socials in the same year. Any advice would be great. We’re not concerned about “getting more money back” we want to do things the right way.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: People who create more than one SSN during their working lives are probably unaware that doing so hurts the person--because the contributions are split between the several different accounts--and they can only use one account to draw SS on later. In this case I suggest that your husband use his correct SSAN--and then stay with it.

A: Use form 4852 (Link below) to correct the incorrect W2. Attach the incorrect W2 to the return.

I would strongly suggest you hire a tax attorney before you make a statement to the IRS or state tax agency.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.