Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Wisconsin on
Q: I was receiving SSI. I received an inheritance which put me over the SSI resource limit so they stopped sending me SSI.

After a few months I spent it and am below the resource limit. They want proof. Is sending them my bank statements for those months enough proof to get my SSI back?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Feb 4, 2021

Sending copies of your bank statements to Social Security may be enough to prove that you spend the funds that put you over the resource limit. However, Social Security may also ask for receipts of items or services that you purchased during spend down. You can also let them know about what... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Social Security for Wisconsin on
Q: I am in Wisconsin. I receive SSI. I received a check from MetLife after my sister's death. I was a beneficiary. It was

$7900. I have to keep my resources under $2000 for SSI. I want to spend the money on my sister's funeral costs. Can I do that? What do I do with the check?

Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton answered on Apr 20, 2020

Hello, I am sorry to hear about the death of your sister. If your sister's Estate had no other assets, and there are funeral debts outstanding, then in a situation where you were not receiving SSI benefits you could use that money to pay for her funeral. However, normally, her Estate would pay... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security and Tax Law for Wisconsin on
Q: How to file taxes using 2 different socials the same year?

My husband overstayed his visa, he was originally using a fake social. I told him to use his real social. He got a new job and put down his real social in November. Now, we’re wondering how to go about filing our taxes together jointly when he used two different socials in the same year. Any... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jan 30, 2020

People who create more than one SSN during their working lives are probably unaware that doing so hurts the person--because the contributions are split between the several different accounts--and they can only use one account to draw SS on later. In this case I suggest that your husband use his... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Social Security for Wisconsin on
Q: Green Card issued in 1973 and SSN benefits out of country

My father has a greed card issued in 1973. So there is no expiration date. Just prior to 9/11 he left the country and has not returned. He is collecting SSN for the 30 + years he was working in the US.

He was told in casual conversation with a friend that since he has not stepped foot... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Dec 28, 2018

He will never lose his social security number, but he can lose lawful permanent resident status based upon abandonment. His decision to leave the U. S. for more than a year has arguable consequences. The old I-551 cards do not change the law on abandonment. The cards are the property of the U.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Wisconsin on
Q: My daughter doesn't have a lot of money. Would anyone take her SSDI case and collect your fees when she wins?

She is 35, bipolar, has ADD, fibromyalgia & all over extreme disabiling muscular pain (was on Tramadol in ORD. She has severe allergies that cause her eyes to swell shut and other body parts to break out in huge hives & swell. She can't hold a full time job. The only kind of work she... Read more »

Shari Lynn Vannieuwenhoven
Shari Lynn Vannieuwenhoven answered on Aug 14, 2017

I suggest contacting a local experienced social security attorney. You will find that fees are paid at the end of case if she is awarded benefits. The attorney will get paid directly from social security. The fee is limited to 25% of the past-due benefits up to a maximum of $6,000. The attorney... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.