Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: My sons mom and I are unmarried she filed through the OAG. Can I file for 50/50 custody and get the AOP from the CSRN?

I am a great dad. She took my son & moved 100 +mi away & filed with the OAG in her county after we had a good 50/50 custody going for months here. I don’t mind paying child support, but she’s keeping him from me. I want 50/50 custody. Can I file for custody in my county before the OAG negotiation & use the AOP the OAG will establish? Or can I file for an AOP before the child support negotiation so that I can properly file for 50/50 custody?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have not answered or showed up in court yet you may be able to request venue change. But, it has to be done as your 1st pleading or with your first pleading. An attorney should be consulted. Fight for that custody issue if that’s what you’ve been doing. Good luck. 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.