Asked in Elder Law and Health Care Law for Oklahoma

Q: "Sane" mother refusing all healthcare, what can we do? Will family caregiver be in trouble if something happens to mom?

Mothers already bad health is rapidly declining and she refuses to be taken to any Dr. My sis lives with her and tries to care for her but mom is being extremely difficult and we are afraid my sister will be in legal trouble for not getting her help, if she dies. All of our family has tried every thing they can, to talk to her about it and she simply refuses and shuts us down, claiming she's old and it's too expensive, which is true. Short of carrying her out of the house, kicking and screaming, we are at a loss. She wouldn't do anything a Dr. would tell her any way. What can we do? Will there be trouble?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Humphreys
David Humphreys
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Hire an elder law attorney for a consultation. Call her doctor and report what is happening. Talk to her and ask her why she doesn’t want to live. Tell her how it makes you feel that she doesn’t want to live.

Get real.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.