Boston, MA asked in Probate for Massachusetts

Q: How do you probate a will

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Each state has different laws governing the appropriate procedure. If it is Massachusetts where the decedent resided and you are the named Personal Representative in the Will , formerly called "Executor" and no one who is a devisee under the Will or an heir is incapacitated due to disability or minority, you may be able to file an Informal Petition for Probate of Will- otherwise if there is need to do so or if it is preferable due to the facts involved, a Formal Petition for Probate of Will would be the route. You have not stated the size of the estate- if it is under $25,000 you may be able to proceed with a Voluntary Statement process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.