Nampa, ID asked in Immigration Law for Idaho

Q: If a person is a permanent resident, can he/she get their pension sent to another country outside of the USA?

If the permanent resident decided to leave the country, could his pension be sent to his country of origin?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID

A: It depends on what you mean by "pension." For Social Security benefits, you can usually still get those outside of the United States. It depends on what country your citizenship is from and what country you are going to. However, Medicare benefits cannot go to someone outside of the United States.

Here are couple of helpful resources:

There are some other things to be aware of when a permanent resident leaves the United States. If he leaves the United States for more than a year, without getting a re-entry permit first, then he will lose his permanent residency. If he leaves the United States for more than six months, it could delay his eligibility for U.S. citizenship.

Talk with a Social Security expert or other expert on pensions and retirement benefits to know for sure how a move might affect you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.