Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Joshua Joseph Despain
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Education Law for Idaho on
Q: I attend barber school with out a legal status in the US , but now that i finished I can't get my license cause of it

But the only reason I attend barber school was cause the school were the ones that told me I didn't need a legal status that w just my ITIN I could get my barbers license but once I finished school and submitted my application to the state for the license they said I needed so type of permit... Read more »

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
answered on Jul 11, 2022

I don't know much about barber school and barber licenses, but it is very possible that the school requires different credentials from the agency that issues the licenses. In other words, your immigration status or lack of status might have not been an obstacle to the school, but it still an... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Idaho on
Q: I didnt file tax return. I didnt make enough. I am trying to help my husband... will he not be able to get his green

I have everything for affidavit... just tax return I don't have. He is finishing school this year... I don't want him angry

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
answered on Sep 21, 2020

Even if you know you did not make enough income to qualify as a sponsor, if you are the petitioner you will still need to fill out the I-864 affidavit of support form and include financial records. It should not disqualify the case as long as you find a joint sponsor who does meet the income... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Idaho on
Q: If a person is a permanent resident, can he/she get their pension sent to another country outside of the USA?

If the permanent resident decided to leave the country, could his pension be sent to his country of origin?

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
answered on Feb 3, 2020

It depends on what you mean by "pension." For Social Security benefits, you can usually still get those outside of the United States. It depends on what country your citizenship is from and what country you are going to. However, Medicare benefits cannot go to someone outside of the... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Idaho on
Q: I got rejected from my Green Card application because I left the country and came back. Is it possible to reapply?

Hello! Thank you for taking my question. I was in the process of applying for my Green Card on an I-485 visa and I left the country because I had a travel visa that did not expire. I thought that it would've been okay to do because I had a travel visa but unfortunately, my application still... Read more »

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
answered on Nov 11, 2019

Yes, it's likely that you will be able to apply again. Unfortunately, if you leave the United States while the I-485 is in process, and you don't have advance parole, then USCIS treats your application like you are no longer interested in the green card, and you have to start over. But,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Idaho on
Q: Hi! How do I help my orphaned brother (17 y.o.) immigrate to the US now that I've been granted asylum status? Thanks!

I was just granted asylum and will be applying for a green card next year. However, I worry about my younger brother who is still in my country of origin. He is 17 and he is the only immediate relative that I have there. Since we lost our parents at a young age, I assume that role for him, even... Read more »

Joshua Joseph Despain
Joshua Joseph Despain
answered on Nov 7, 2019

Unfortunately, after being granted asylum, you cannot sponsor or petition siblings, only spouses and children. So you would not be able to sponsor your brother directly. You would have to wait until you are a U.S. citizen to directly petition him. Or, he might have another way to come into the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.