Round Rock, TX asked in Personal Injury for Texas

Q: Is it possible to sue a university for emotional distress even though I made a mistake?

I made a mistake of cheating on an exam and my professors gave me a 0 now in order to pass the class 100% are needed on the rest of the exams. The amount of anxiety I’m am experiencing is ridiculous I can never seem to calm myself down due to all the pressure I am under and I am thinking of suing the university for emotional distress. I have had to seek counseling to try to deal with my anxiety but the stress just continues. Do you think I have a case?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Evan S. Sloan
Evan S. Sloan

A: You most likely do not have a case. The infliction of emotional distress would need to be intentional. Here it sounds like you violated a course and/or university policy and were punished for it. I hope this semester ends on a more positive note.

James Michael Moore
James Michael Moore
  • McAllen, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult semester at school.

To build a good case, you need to have facts that support your case. From what it looks like, unfortunately, you intentionally violated the university's policy and, in all likelihood, the professor is following their own grading procedures to which you'll likely have to earn high scores on the remaining exams in order to pass your class.

In Texas, it's very unlikely that you would have a claim for an emotional distress case.

Some advice, however, is that your mental health is very important, so I implore that you speak to your professors, speak to your university counselors and continue to reach out to your therapist to help you cope with the anxiety and stress.

We all make mistakes, this is not the end, and you're going to be ok. Work hard, study hard, and use this to motivate and prepare you for your next challenge and your next semester.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.