Baltimore, MD asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: what are the provisions re ending child support if 18yo child is involuntarily hospitalized for drug abuse in PR?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. The child support payment is for the child's benefit regardless where he/she may be. There is no provisión in law as to eliminating child support payment because said child is in rehabilitation. I donot think that a Court will eliminate the obligation to make payments. However a Court may adjust the obligation to be paid monthly depending on how long he/she will be in rehabilitatión, costs of rehabilitatión per month, the child's económical and well being needs during said time.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

There are no provisions to end the payment of child support because of involuntary hospitalization for drug abuse. The treatment may even cause an adjustment on the monthly child support payment, depending on is cost and other factors essential to the dependents care. The court might take in consideration those and there maybe other considerations related on the minors supervision as well as custody.

If you have any other questions or need any help contact us and we will be glad be at your service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.