Winston-salem, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: my Soon to be husband gave me money to buy a house can he ask for half during divorce when no papers where drawn up?

My soon to be husband told me to get $20,000 out of our account to buy a house and land for my son. We are now getting divorced can he make me pay half or all of that back. No papers or anything were drawn up saying I had to pay him back! We have not got divorced or legally separated yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The answer is maybe. If the house remained solely in your name it likely will be separate property. However if there were payments made during the marriage that would be marital. He can also argue for a bigger share of the marital estate to offset his separate property contribution.

Consult an experienced family law attorney to review your matter in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.