Metairie, LA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: Consequences for running away at 15?

Living with my adopted parents has gotten unbearable. I have access to my real family because my adopted parents are related to my family but were never in close ties with them. I've talked to my birth mom and grandmother and they've said that if it gets too bad to come by them but i wanted to know what would happen if I do that. My birth mom and grandmother are already talking to lawyers about getting me back in their custody because of how bad living with these people has been all my life. I've also heard that since I'm 15 i can choose which parent I want to live with and I just want to make sure this is true. Basically, I just want to make sure that if I do end up running away, that it wont amount to nothing.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: 1) if you run away, you could end up a delinquent in Florida Parishes.

2) If your mother and grandmother think it is in your best interest to get you back, theynshould hire a custody lawyer.

3) You have some say, but not the only say about where you live.

4) If 1)-3) don't work and you are being physically abused, call 911. But you will end up in foster care.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.