Asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: My husband received a summons for a Request for Admissions for a new child support case.

His daughter is now 10 yrs old. Paternity wasnt established until 2016 and he was then added to the birth certificate. The mother didnt show up to court so no child support payments were ordered. Now she is requesting a modification and wants retroactive child support from the date the child was born. How can he avoid that being that the mother kept the child from him for 7 years and he wasnt on the birth certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Retroactive child support only goes back 2 years from the date she filed the child support action in the state of Florida. Therefore, she will not succeed in asking for arrears from the child's DOB.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.