Bellefontaine, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: Can I still be charged for drug possession if it was found on me but I wasnt charged at that time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT

A: Yes. usually, cops cite the person, or people, that they believe possess an illegal substance. But, a prosecutor can charge a crime against anyone they have probable cause to believe has committed that crime. Usually a prosecutor makes this decision after the cops "screen" the case with them. If the cops did not cite you or anyone else, the prosecutor might not be screening the case. In any case, don't talk about whatever did or did not happen with anyone but a criminal defense attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.