Scottsdale, AZ asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: If the state cannot find my arrest and conviction records

If the state cannot find my arrest and conviction records for what ever reason like lost or destroyed and have no backup can I challenge same and prevail

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Salt Lake City, UT

A: It depends. The first thing to do is to request your criminal history from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification.

You can do so here:

If there is nothing on it, then if someone requests your state criminal history, such as an employer, they will see no history.

If there is history, you may be able to expunge that history from the State's records.

See here for info about expungement:

and here:

If you need to expunge, it may be best to hire an attorney.

You should also know that even if the State of Utah has no criminal history for you, or if that history has been expunged, the FBI may still retain records of an arrest, charge, or conviction. However, this criminal history is less likely to affect your life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.