The Villages, FL asked in Child Support for Florida

Q: Divorced in GA 2015. Ex-wife now lives in SC Need to make a CS I file in SC or original divorced state, GA?

Also, the CS Mod I’d like to attempt to make is this. I’m on disability, in turn my son gets his own stipend as I’m sure you’re aware. It was agreed on between she and I that I didn’t need to write her a check every month , as, not only would my son’s stipend from my SSDI cover my CS obligation, the amount was 66% above the CS amount....3 times the amount basically. 7 years ago I thought I was doing the right thing and just giving her the additional money without negotiating the extra money above the CS amount be put in a 529 for him on my behalf. Hindsight right. At this point can I petition that extra money be put in a 529 or simply MM, etc..she’s been receiving the extra for 7 years now and she won’t tell me what she’s been using it for. Being on SSDI, it’ll be very difficult to save $100k-$150k needed these days to send a child to college, ya know. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson
  • North Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Did your ex domesticate the GA order in SC? If yes, you must file in SC. I'm licensed in FL so, you should call an attorney in GA or SC for either state's substantive law dealing with child support. My experience in FL, even if she did not register the order in SC, if she's lived there with the kid(s) for at least 6 months, that state now has jurisdiction over the kid(s). My opinion, the prudent thing would be to file where the kid(s) are. Also, you must have an exceptional change in circumstances to modify a CS order. Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.