Q: I'm 1995, was convicted of murder in Union County, South Carolina.

Agree months ago, the victims family members wrote The Solicitors Office, The Clerk of Court, and The Department of Probation, Parole, And Pardon Services asking them to please release do to mercy /clemecy. Other members of The community also wrote The Department. No answer or response has been issued. How I can I find out if they are investigating or inquiring into the matter? Also, can you recommend an attorney I that may want to take on the case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Grooms
Stephen Grooms
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: To be blunt, they do not have to answer the letters or open any investigation into a closed case for the reasons given. A judge and jury heard the case in 1995 and a decision was made. Reducing a sentence on the grounds that the interested parties now want mercy is not going to be possible without vacating the finding of guilt by the jury or reopening the sentencing phase. Either of these is highly unlikely without considerable reason as to how it would serve the interest of justice. Keep in mind Murder presently carries a minimum of 30 years. The only option I see with the information provided would be to present your information to the parole board once he comes eligible for parole.

Please get a second opinion by contacting a defense attorney in your area or call the SC Bar service for a referral at 803 799-7100

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.