Fort Worth, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: If I sign and cash my inheritance check does that mean I accept it and can't press charges if I need too?

My suppose to get my Inhertitenace check this week. If I feel the check is too low and I want to look further into what the executor did, should I not cash it? Is cashing it mean I accept everything he did?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You would probably be okay to cash the check. However, it is definitely better to have a consultation with a probate attorney. Many offer free or low-cost consultation meetings. When you meet with the attorney, bring the actual check you received in addition to all the paperwork you have regarding the estate.

You can "demand an accounting" from the executor, pursuant to the Texas Estates Code. If you feel the amount is too low, you'll want to see a full accounting so you can see for yourself exactly how much money has come in and gone out of the estate. A probate lawyer can help you with this, and the cost is not much.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.