Columbia, SC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for South Carolina

Q: I am wondering if my stepdad can adopt me if my biological dad's rights have been terminated due to abuse?

My biological dad's rights were terminated when I was 4 due to physically and sexually abusing me and my mother. I am now 16 and have been living with my mom and stepdad since I was 5. I'm trying to get adopted by my stepdad but am not sure if I need my birth father's consent, as he would disagree with me wanting to do this. Even if I cannot get adopted by my stepdad, Id like to at least change my last name to his.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Since you are under the age of 18 your mother and stepfather would have to file to do all of this. Assuming your biological father’s parental rights have been terminated you would not need his consent either for adoption or for a name change. I would recommend you reach out to an attorney near you to discuss the options.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.