Houston, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: is it domestic violence if your husband steal your ID, social and marriage certificate to stop you from getting divorce?

My friend is in process of divorce and she still lives in the same house as her husband. they get to a lot fights and he keeps chasing her everywhere she goes, installed tracking device to her car multiple times, and even threatening her friends who try to help her. in their last fight he had stolen her ids from her room and shredded her social. She is the one who is initiating the divorce and he is trying to stop her by all of these.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Miguel Angel Salazar
Miguel Angel Salazar
  • Brownsville, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: She can commence divorce proceedings without any of those documents. It would be highly recommended that she request a temporary hearing when the petition is filed. At a temporary hearing she can request from the court, among many other things, protection against any abuse and destruction of property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.