Copperas Cove, TX asked in Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for Texas

Q: Good Morning, I was injured receiving workers comp that they filed and approved and now I have to pay them back

I was working as a DOD Civilian had a stroke that was said to related from head injury at work . Then I was left in attended in ICU fell out of bed cracked and bruised some ribs. I couldn't swallow so they had me with no fluids for seven days at that time they finally ran a swallow study that showed my vocal cords were paralyzed. I was placed on a feeding tube which feel out of my nose and caused my sinus track to become compromised caused a tropical Flesh eating bacteria to eat at my face and nose.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could best advise here, but your question remains open for a month. As a general premise, if you were paid workers' comp benefits and this was related to a third-party accident, workers' comp can assert a lien on the personal injury case. From your description, that's what it sounds like - a personal injury case against the hospital running the ICU in which you fell out of bed and bruised your ribs. If you have a personal injury attorney and a workers' comp attorney, they should be working together to coordinate satisfaction of the WC lien in the course of settling the personal injury case. If you don't, you could reach out to a Texas workers' comp attorney to discuss what you need to do. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.