Fremont, OH asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: My ex fiancee will not give me my things including gifts, can I sue her? Who pays the cost?

My now ex fiancee and I have broken up. I have moved out per her request. I have been given many of my things back, but she has taken every gift her and her family has ever given me. She also has many of the items I brought into the house when I moved in, including items that belong to my children. I know I can sue her over those items, but who pays the cost of court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can claim attorney fees when you sue her, but the judge is unlikely to make her pay those if you win. Unless there is a specific statute that specifies attorney fees, then each party usually pays their own attorney fees -- unless the judge uses discretion to make one party pay the other's attorney fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.