Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Ohio Small Claims Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: Can we be compensated for/ or not be responsible to pay the full amount of rent?

Broken wire underground. Electric company informed us that it was the responsibility of the owner of the trailer park. They were told to get a certified electrician to come here and fix it. Instead, they had their maintinence people fix it and it took 17 days for them to get it approved and turned... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 5, 2019

If owner does not give you a deduction, then you could sue the owner for $340, but then the owner might terminate your lease or try to evict you. So try to work it out to avoid that.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: I bought a used car from dealer. They couldn’t get me a title so I took car back and They gave me a check that bounced.

They had bought the car from an auction and sold it to me for $3600 with no warranty with temporary tag. Then engine showed damage a week later. I thought my only option was to sell car as is to get something back. However dealer could not get me a title for the car! I called them and because of... Read more »

Taylor P Waters answered on Aug 23, 2019

You can file a small claims action against them n your local municipal court. Bring all your paperwork, proof of the check bouncing, and all communications from them.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: With description what rights and options are available? Home was purchased with money deeply sentimental to me...

Paid rent to my mom sharing her home (also child), oral agreement, she, on whim changed;living arrangements, unrealistic expectations, cash only payments, refused receipt, which she would constantly manipulate, pleas for more money because she can’t pay bills/mortgage, then acting as though... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 16, 2019

If you do not have a written lease, then if an eviction action is filed, the court will likely evict you. All that other past history is irrelevant. If the court orders the eviction, it typically gives tenant only 7 days to vacate. So try to work it our, or look for new living accommodations.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Small Claims and Family Law for Ohio on

Q: Can you evict an ex when they are not on deed or mortgage? I had to move she’s still there but it’s my house??

My husband to be was battling a DV case for about a year, he has now Been found not guilty. His ex has been living in his house the entire time while he has been paying the bills of course. The house is solely in his name, the deed and the mortgage. How do we get her out, we keep asking his lawyer... Read more »

Taylor P Waters answered on Jul 29, 2019

Was she an ex-wife or an ex-girlfriend? If she was an ex-wife, the question is much more complication. If she's an ex-girlfriend, you need to follow normal eviction procedures.

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: Are you legally required to continue paying charges on a credit card if the cardholder files bankruptcy?

I am not a joint card holder. My name is no where on the account. They just helped me out when I was having money issues and I agreed to pay a monthly amount until the balance was paid off. Now, there is no balance and they keep taking my money even though they no longer owe the amount.

Clark Dray answered on Jul 25, 2019

I'm sorry, your question it's a little vague so this might not be what you're asking. If you're a joint account holder on the card, your liability isn't discharged by your co-debtor's bankruptcy. This means that they can come after you if you stop paying.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: signed car over to daughter, with agreement to pay for the car monthly. She never paid for it.

I signed over car to daughter with agreement for her to make monthly payments for the car. She took car never paid. She’s currently in jail and her husband refuses to give car back. How do I get the car back.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 22, 2019

If the title to the car is in your daughter's name only you cannot get it back--lawfully--absent a lawsuit.

2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: My son was awarded a settlement and placed in a trust. They said I could apply for a hardship for funds to be released

After reading paperwork from probate court it’s saying it has to be placed in an account with solely my sons name and be held. I was wondering why because the lawyer said I could get it early if I went to probate court and pay and apply. I did that and the check has been sent out.

Taylor P Waters answered on Jul 3, 2019

This is because it is your son's money, solely. The hardship must be his hardship, not yours and he must need the money, not you.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Small Claims, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on

Q: Hi! I had a roommate drop out of school and leave the college house. He pays rent but refuses to pay for utilities.

The utilities were not included with rent. But under the utilities segment on our lease it shows that the person who is signing agrees to pay for them. Is he obligated to pay?

Joseph Jaap answered on Jul 3, 2019

If he refuses to pay, you could sue him in small claims court. But even if you win, that merely gives you a judgment. Then you have to try to collect on the judgment by going to court again. The court filing fees for all that probably exceed what he owes.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: Do owners of a house have to tell you the pervious renters had bed bugs in Ohio

Joseph Jaap answered on Jun 5, 2019

If owners knew about it and failed to disclose it, that would be a basis to sue the owners. But it depends on all the facts. Contact the local board of health and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to review the facts and advise you.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: i cancelled my airbnb reservation 32 days in advance. The host let me cancel with no fees.

air bnb wants to keep $400, 1st they said the host fees applied. the host let us cancel with no fees or charges. air bnb said then that they were keeping the money since they did their job as an online travel arrangement site. tho i have pictures from the host saying we were cleared & invited us... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 24, 2019

Technically, your contract was with Airbnb. If you utilized Airbnb's extensive (and costly) international booking system and paid the booking fee, and if Airbnb did everything they promised to do then--unless the contract allows some percentage refund--they should be entitled to keep your booking... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: I returned a car that I financed to the dealer the same day for repair that was supposed to be taken care of but wasn't.

They've had the car for 5 days. Can I break the financing aggreement on that vehicle?

Matthew Williams answered on Apr 1, 2019

Without reading the financing agreement and associated warranties or service plans, it’s impossible to say.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: I was assaulted and robbed in my own home

I had somebody come over to my house in before they left they assaulted me and my parents and stole money in the process

Matthew Williams answered on Feb 20, 2019

Call the police.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: Can I go to jail if I don't go to small claims court

Matthew Williams answered on Dec 1, 2018

No. But the court will issue judgment in favor of the other side of if you don't show up. And they will then have the legal means to seek to collect from you by force.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: If I don't go to small claims court will I be arrested

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Nov 28, 2018

Not in Florida; and I suspect the law is the same in Ohio. Small claims courts handle CIVIL matters; arrests are only made in CRIMINAL matters.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: Can i sue in small claims court for money someone "owes" me in purchase agreement plus the max $6000 you can sue for?

They have breached the contract completely to buy a small business, business and taxes are in good standing, the purchase agreement has been signed, and they are still promising they will pay even after the extension we gave past closing date. They have caused a lot of damage, the contract does not... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Nov 13, 2018

The maximum award in small claims court is $6000. In municipal court it is $15,000. Beyond that amount, or for specific performance, it is Common Pleas Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: If i have a hearing by the board and their lawyer and still do not feel the assessment is fair do I have any recourse ?

There is damage on common property near my unit. It was caused by drainage from 4 downspouts that converge on my unit area. They said they will fix it then assess me for the cost.

Matthew Williams answered on Sep 19, 2018

You could always take them to court...since I'm guessing this a condo board (yes?) you may want to try to work it out with them first.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on

Q: Can I get my deposit and first month rent back if I never moved in due to pest issues, repairs needed and still dirty?

I was not given the opportunity to look at property before I moved in due to landlord not being available. My move in date was 8/16 and I received my keys and spent 2 hrs on walk thru on 8/15 @ 7pm going over things that needed to get done and unfortunately I had movers set up the next morning at... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 20, 2018

You can file in small claims court. Check the court web site for the forms and process to follow.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: A contractor has failed to finish our kitchen remodel started in Feb. 2018 despite frequent communications & promises.

We initially left the issues unsettled because of illnesses and the deaths of parents. Since March, however, we’ve been in contact with the contractor regularly - I have copies of all communications. He has made promises to “have someone out there next week” several times but they don’t... Read more »

Matthew Williams answered on Aug 8, 2018

Small claims court, municipal general civil division, or common pleas court in civil cases depends upon the amount of $ involved and the types of relief available.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Small Claims for Ohio on

Q: I own and operate a HVAC Service and Repair Business. I did some work for a couple on 1/31/18. In their home.

I replaced a part in their furnace the next day to restore their heat and billed them for it. No answer to any invoices I found out the couple filed for divorce I contacted the husband initially and he said the wife is responsible for the billing. I continued billing both via us mail until... Read more »

Joseph Jaap answered on Aug 6, 2018

Sue both in small claims court. Check the court web site for the forms to file.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Civil Rights for Ohio on

Q: ex boyfriend of 3 years has been having 3 of my credit card payments coming out of his account by default

Gary Kollin answered on May 29, 2018

I do not understand if there is a question and if there is, you must articulate the facts better

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.