Jasper, AL asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Alabama

Q: What recourses do I have?

I had a written signed contract for specific items in exchange for yard work w/ time frames for completion. Instead of doing work, they took the items, broke into the property, took additional items destroying/damaging others. Amount taken is upwards of 60k including vehicle, major appliances, etc. Investigator refused to file charges, take it to the DA, or recover items where the location was known citing the contact was not notarized thus was not a valid and making a “gift” not theft. Said he knew one of the parties and how busy they were with crime and did not want to pursue a case with a contract because the DA would not take it. To clarify, the investigator is not allowing ANY form of criminal or recovery action through the police. My "complaint" is on record and I don't even have a police report.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle D Pierce
Kyle D Pierce
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gadsden, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: A contract would’nt have anything to do with the criminal case. You likely have a civil action for breach of contract too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.