Renton, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Am I able to withdraw my guilty plea after I have been sentenced? I was misled by my public defender & was made to plea

Misled by public defender. Have all the paperwork of me saying not guilty. Have numerous notices of case where it was “last chance to accept”offer” or would automatically go to trial. I always said not guilty. The public defender did not represent me at all. I tried to fire him with a Judge Ferguson but was denied. The day of him making me plead “guilty” I was totally distraught. Every question the judge asked my PD gave me a thumbs up to answer yes. This judge who’s name I do not have could clearly see I was in distress. He asked me about it. I signed paperwork,ran out of courtroom & had a seizure in bathroom. My mom was with me & found me in the men’s bathroom & they called 911 to get help. Firefighters came & gave me a brown paperbag to breath in & out of until my heart rate went down. Do I stand a chance with any recourse? It has been close to 5 months now since sentencing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I am sorry to say that it is extremely difficult to withdraw a plead of guilty within hours or days of doing it let alone after 5 months. Yes the actions of what you experienced could be helpful IF the parties remember it OR it was noted on the recording. More likely is that the parties won't remember the circumstances and rely on the recording.

Additionally, Judges ask specific questions at the time of a guilty plea to ensure it is being done voluntarily and knowingly. For these reason I don't believe you would prevail.

Additionally, you would have to hire an attorney to make this argument for you and it wouldn't be cheap and most wouldn't take the case because they would believe it was a waste of money on your part but if you insist then you can spend your money for the prayer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.