Cypress, TX asked in Personal Injury for Texas

Q: In auto accident does the legal team collect FIrst from total awarded settlement? Or medical 1st then 33 legal 66 victm

Should expenses be covered first?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
PREMIUM
Answered
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: 1/3 of total.

1 user found this answer helpful

James Michael Moore
James Michael Moore
Answered
  • McAllen, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It really depends on the contract you signed with your attorney, however, typical lawyer contingency fees range from 33.33% to 45%, depending on certain factors such as whether a lawsuit was filed or if the case was appealed. This percentage is typically taken from the total amount of the settlement. Any costs or reimbursements, such as medical expenses, are taken from the remaining 55% - 66.66% that is awarded to the client.

Hope this helps!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.