Philadelphia, PA asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How should I go about retrieving money from a contractor who is ignoring calls and not finishing a job?

I went with a contractor who started work but moved slow. Kept giving us days and times that he would he back to finish but wouldn't show up. Missed the times. This went on for about a week. Now hes not returning any calls or messages and the job still is less than half finished.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nancy L Lanard
Nancy L Lanard
  • Plymouth Meeting, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: PA has a Consumer Home Improvement Contractor's Act that helps to protect you. You can file a complaint with the Attorney General's office regarding this particular contractor. I would suggest starting with a letter to the contractor indicating that you were prepared to file a complaint with the PA Attorney General's office under the PA Home Improvement Contractor Consumer Protection Act if the contractor does not perform the duties under the terms of the contract and in a timely fashion. You can also check out the contractor on the PA website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.