Concord, CA asked in Construction Law for California

Q: What penalties, if any, are there for an unlicensed contractor working at a senior care home?

In the state of California, if you are an unlicensed contractor who is hired by and performs work totaling over $500 at a senior citizen residential facility, are there any specific penalties beyond being unlicensed because it is a senior living home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald M Barker
Donald M Barker
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Costa Mesa, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am unaware of any additional "penalties" for performing works of improvement without a proper license on a Senior Care Facility.

HOWEVER, regardless of the nature of the property/facility, here are your Bigger concerns:

First, you cannot legally collect any monies owed from a property owner if you are not paid. People performing works of improvement without the proper license have no right to sue, period, no exceptions. If the property owner voluntarily pays you, then no harm no foul.

Second, the property owner could sue you for return of any monies paid to you, regardless if you completed the work without error.

Finally, it "can" be a criminal misdemeanor for performing works of improvement without a proper license.

The State of California has enacted just about every imaginable barrier to unlicensed works or improvement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.