Ozark, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: He was left a hefty inheritance so he quit working and now his children are doing without. Can he get by with this?

The father quit working and has been living off of an inheritance; buying large extravagant toys for himself, his girlfriend and their child, yet his other children have gone months without any child support and his ex wife has been fighting him for his court ordered health insurance for his children. She ended up getting on public aid for insurance. Does she have any legal rights when he is being blatantly obvious that he is evading child support this way? The order was for a monthly amount, not a percentage of income.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Rote
Cynthia Rote
  • Pecatonica, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The mother should go to Court and ask for an order modifying child support and a judgment on any past due child support. The Court may consider the inheritance in ordering a lump sum child support payment or other monthly payment (especially if the father is living off an interest from the inheritance). In addition, if the mother hires an attorney she may be able to make father pay all or some of her attorney's fees.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.