Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: My ex get public assistance. Now she wants C.S. will i have to pay back child support although I've taken care them

I have bills I've paid, receipts, and statements that 70 percent of my check went towards living for all my family, my ex and two of my kids. Been together 23 years and she only worked 12 of them and I have notarized letters that I gave her child support every year until recently. I lost a job and unemployment because she stuck me in jail after a order of protection. Jailed for emailing her. Im a good dad and ended up homeless and she did too all while asking for payments. What do i say in court to help my case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson

A: If there is a child support order, you are responsible for that payment. You are entitled to visit with your children, but if former wife does not allow you to have parenting time with the children then you will need to petition the court for parenting time. If there is already an order for parenting time and if your former wife is not complying with it, then you need to filr a Petition for Rule to Show Cause why she should not be held in contempt of court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.