Elgin, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: My ex has not paid half of health insurance for one of our children as stated in the divorce. How can i get him to pay?

We signed in divorce that since I carry health insurance that my ex would pay half for insurance of kids until they remained on my insurance. He won't pay.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Cynthia Rote
Cynthia Rote
  • Pecatonica, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Send written correspondence to your ex - via email (or the app that you agreed to use) telling your ex that they have not paid it for x months, they owe x amount to get current and needs to pay x amount monthly (or whatever the schedule for payment is). Advise your ex that if you do not get payment by x date you will file a Motion for to Compel payment with the Court and ask the court to make him pay the amount due and make him pay an extra fee to sanction him for failing to comply with the order. If he doesn't pay, file the motion.

Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson

A: You should file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause why he should not be held in contempt of court for failure to pay one half of the insurance. The court can find him in contempt of court for violating the court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.