Gastonia, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: My kids and I moved to NC when I left my X. He is in SC filing divorce paperwork they told him he had to put down they

Live with him or the courts wouldn’t accept it. He won’t even pay child support either. I had already filled out paperwork and all I was asked was if there was a custody battle going on over our children which there isn’t! Don’t have the money to pay for it right now. So I am confused and feel like he is being sneaky and trying to get our children. We left because of abuse and that is documented by psychologists. We have been on Medicaid since the beginning of last year here in NC. Would they not look into that? Hes filing in SC, Is that right? They told him at the courts wouldn’t accept it unless he does it that way Please help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: What do you mean he won't pay child support? Just be-bop down to your local child support enforcement office and let them deal with it. It may take some time but odds are they will make him pony up the dough. As to the divorce, is a do it yourself site - frankly, most people are not competent to do it themselves. Just visit our site at and see if our service is a good fit for you. $395 covers everything needed for an attorney to handle an uncontested divorce for you properly and quickly and then you can be done with him.

Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Jurisdiction is appropriate in the State where the children have lawfully resided for the previous 6 months. If you have not been in NC for 6 months, nc does not have jurisdiction. You cannot leave SC and file here if you had been living in SC the last 6 months.

Hire an experienced family law attorney to review your matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.