Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Dyfs case in nj. The mother lost custody and after 18 months the case is in adoption and termination of rights.

I just found out 2 weeks ago about my daughter and got paternity results. Will I be able to get her ? I don’t have a dhs case can I just file for custody ? I want her but do I have to be involved in this dyfs mess if I just found out about the baby ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. Sorry that you are faced with this issue. DCP&P (formerly DYFS) is obligated to reach out to you as the father of the child as terminating parental rights of course also affects you as the father. You need to involve yourself in the DCP&P case as soon as possible. DCP&P, and more importantly the court, need to know that you are contesting this matter and in lieu of terminating parental rights, you want custody of your daughter. This matter is very fact sensitive. As such, I strongly suggest that you consult with a Family Law Attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.