Wellfleet, MA asked in Estate Planning for Massachusetts

Q: How do I ensure that my young child will receive my assets upon death? I have named her as beneficiary on all accounts

I'm a single parent, the father is inconsistently involved and I unfortunately cannot trust him. I would prefer not to grant access to monetary accounts, at least not until I pass away. I'm wondering if I can just name a person to oversee these accounts in my will until my child is of age to inherit them, or do I need to do more? If a person is named in my will or added to the accounts for this purpose, would he/she gain access to the accounts before my daughter is 18? Can this person then withdraw from the accounts freely? There are 3 accounts: Roth IRA, Checking & Savings Accounts. I'm also wondering if the person who is awarded custody of my child gains access to my accounts by default (since the child is sole beneficiary) and would be able to withdraw from them? Please help! What are my best options to ensure that my assets are reserved for my child? THANK YOU so much!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Belasco
Joanne Belasco
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: I can't answer your specific question because we don't have an attorney-client relationship. Generally speaking, I suggest that someone who has children and is worried about any kind of access to the money should consider a trust as a way to have better control over how the money is spent and who can control that money. There are many different ways that trusts can protect assets and also name who can access those funds. A trust also does not have to go through probate, so it's not public. A will does, and that generally makes it available for anyone to view. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to email me at jo@windhorselegal.com or call me at 617-991-8905.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.