Maumee, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: Mom didTOD &add my name ONLY 2keepDIL from her home incase bro dies (ill). I’m2split sale of home wHim&will

Bro mad&forced mom2add upset.As her POA should i chg it back to mom orig intent since mom fearful 2upset bro? Thx (OHIO)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Be very careful as a power of attorney in putting assets in your name or naming yourself as a future beneficiary of assets. The law in Ohio is that if you do that as a power of attorney then the transfer is presumed to be the result of undue influence, and you must then overcome that presumption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.