Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Is there a way to get sole custody of a child if father has been deported, without the father needing to be involved?

Childs father was put in jail when child was 5, and subsequently deported.child is now 11 years old, they do have contact but via the internet only.he has not provided a penny of support obviously in all this time, i do not even have a physical address out of the country for him. I only care for legal paperwork purposes as yes i know i have physical custody of the child.i am curious if it can be done without a long process because he will contest!

1 Lawyer Answer
Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: You should consult with an experienced family law attorney for this information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.