Arkadelphia, AR asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Texas

Q: The day he died, my ex-hub's GF filed a FORGED change-of-benef'ry form to steal his BAC ret $. What can I do about it?

Several months after he died, I was notified that I was still benefcy of his BAC annuities fund. Surprised he hadn't changed this in 8 years since divorce, I called the BAC Intl to confirm details. It was the assisting clerk who noticed the date on a change-of-beneficiary form was the exact date my ex died from lung cancer & a pickled liver. (Also, Ex had been on Hospice care and morphine). The clerk asked me if I knew the alledged 'new' beneficiary or the witness to 'Paul's' signature. I said Paul's current GF and the 'witness' was his sleazy brother-in-law. I told him I bet they forged Paul's signature so he mailed me a copy of the form on which Paul's signature IS an obvious forgery. I was told I'd have to hire a lawyer or take some kind of legal action that would authorize the Int'l to void the bogus form. Paul's daughter told me the GF also had 'his will' leaving everything to the GF and leaving his 2 kids nothing but debt. What's best course of action & where to begin? THANX

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There might be both a civil and criminal case that comes out of this but I notice this question is marked for both Texas and Arkansas. The first thing you should do is figure out WHERE the forged document was USED and then re-post your question in just that one state, no matter where you are currently personally located. The rules will be different depending on the jurisdiction so you've got to nail that down first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.