Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law, Collections, Lemon Law and Small Claims for Texas

Q: can i report my car stolen?

Transmission went out, shop picked it up and towed it to their location. Tore it down and diagnosed it. The contract says it’s $599 for tow and tear down. He told us $1480 to repair it. We said okay. He then jacked the price up to $2480 saying “there was more problems”. Fast forward a year later, he still has my car, has not fixed a single thing but won’t give it back. Told him to keep the $1,000 we already paid him and the broken trans but just give the car back. He refused, and still won’t fix it until i pay him the remaining $1480. But at this point i have already told him not to touch it. So technically, i over paid him for the tow and tear down fee.. can i report or stolen? Already filed with attorney general.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is a civil matter. Theft requires the state to prove intent at the time the property initially changed hands.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.