Miami, FL asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: I’m on vacation in Puerto Rico and my son’s father owes me child support in New Jersey. I have the order, where

Can I go file for child support in Puerto Rico with the order from New Jersey?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos PRO label
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings;

The jurisdiction belongs to exclusively New Jersey, but If the father lives in Puerto Rico you can enforce the order through the interstate child enforcement services agency. They have liaisons with the local child enforcement services agency and will assist you on your case. Other specific procedures mat vary on the specifics of you circumstances. If you have any other questions or need an attorney legal assistant feel free to contact us directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.