Tucker, GA asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: Asking for a friend, who was served papers filing a claim for an auto accident, with significantly incorrect info.

Asking for a friend. If being served with papers after a MVA, the documents are not correct: the dates of the accident as listed by hospital/letter from doctor with service dates is incorrect, listing of medical procedure follow up for apparent injury unrelated to claims/manner of accident are included and person listed as defendant is incorrect. How does one answer this large document package with magistrate court? Also, I thought magistrate court had a financial limit of $10,000, the amount asked for in this filing is greater than $10,000. The plaintiff is clearly aggrandizing their so called injuries from an accident that was significantly less than barely a tap at barely idling speed with absolutely no physical damage to the vehicle. Not even a scratch. There could not possibly be any injuries due to this accident, especially as sworn to be correct but are indeed not.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler Young
Tyler Young
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Provo, UT

A: First, your friend needs to notify his/her auto insurer about the lawsuit immediately. The insurer should pay for a lawyer and pay any judgment/settlement.

Second, the factual errors may entitle your friend to several remedies including possibly a dismissal of the case. Even if they don’t warrant a dismissal, the misrepresentations might lead to a fact finder (jury or judge) to question the credibility of the plaintiff.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.