Utica, NY asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: Child support ordered in NY. Visitation issue never addressed. Mom left to FL with child. Can I ask FL court for visit

I still live in NY though she took my child and ran to FL. So I know that FL has no jurisdiction to change Child Support. I just want to be a part of my son's life. Can FL order visitation? We were never married.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Depends on whether the child has been in Florida six months or not. If he has, yes.

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: Yes the place where the child has resided for 6 months continuously determines the timesharing arrangements. Many attorneys can represent you and be retained over the phone with much of the work being done via email. Contact a JUSTIA attorney today to get started? Good luck


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.