Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Mississippi

Q: I bonded a friend out and paid $1000 cash. Turns out they made a mistake and he had a hold. Can I get my $ back

I bonded a friend out of jail and paid the bonds person $1000. Not even 12 hours later they picked him back up and said he wasnt ever supposed to be bonded out because he had a hold with the department of corrections. Can I get my $1000 back? Who regulates bond companies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Unless you can convince the bond guy to return your money you are out of luck. Why? Because they will say that they did their job--kept your friend out of stir--and are entitled to keep the bond you paid. Lesson learned: Don't bond out any more friends.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.