Antioch, CA asked in Workers' Compensation for California

Q: I got a medical Award in 2005 - neck, back, shoulders, arms, hands.

I had problems with adjuster telling pharmacy not to give me the medication approved by medical board. Finally she gave false information to the medical board claiming most of my injuries weren't approved.

My dr didn't want to fight her anymore and I gave up around 2008 getting any medical.

My body is totally messed up now though. My legs started having problems due to my spine, and I had bad falls. Sleeping is very difficult. My feet now are partly numb from the bad falls that worsened my spine, with balance and dizziness problems.

I especially need my medication for my neck that helped me be able to sleep.

I moved away from where I got the award.

My dr retired.

Do medical boards still exist?

Can I choose my own dr?

How do I get medical again?

I never got xrays nor MRI for my neck and back.

Government employer. Wc disability retirement.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Alan Jackson
Gary Alan Jackson
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Huntington Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: if you have an open California work comp award then you can return to a doctor that is on the carriers approved list, called an MPN. you simply as the adjuster for the on line link to the list and find a doctor and ask the adjuster to send an authorization letter to the doctor which the adjuster must do within 5 business days. the doctor can put in a request for treatment and the carriers Utilization review (UR) will decide which treatments you get. You can also hire a lawyer to work up a settlement or cash out of your future medical award if you want to close the work comp insurance so you can use other forms of insurance such as medicare, if you have that. from the severity of your injury it sounds like you should be on SSDI with medicare.

1 user found this answer helpful

Sheryl Lam
Sheryl Lam
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Mr. Jackson has given a very good answer. In short you can contact the insurance carrier in regards to treatment or call an attorney to assist you.

Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.